No technology is as dangerous to humanity as the things that make us human.
The Series Premiere!
After the Parallel War, the remnants of humanity are scattered between two universes. When the only way to travel between them becomes obsolete through the discovery of a new, instantaneous travel technology, plans to unite the human race quickly dissolve into personal plots of revenge that have drastic consequences for the entire human race.
Available on Amazon (digital only)
The Second Book in the BURROW Series!
Book two in the BURROW universe is under active development. Stay tuned, and follow development updates on Twitter!
A tooth found inside a dead fisherman’s skull is genetically identical to one found in a 100,000 year old Neanderthal skull, and both exhibit regenerative properties. When experts are brought to an underwater research facility by a secret branch of Homeland Security to study the fossils, one of them is found ripped apart and eaten alive. And that’s just the first day.
Just like John Scalzi (but a lot less popular and less successful), I wrote non-fiction before fiction and continue to do so. Mostly analyses and short essays, you’ll find I center around technology and the human experience (hey, just like my fiction!).
DATA SCIENCE IN HIGHER EDUCATION
Available on Amazon worldwide.
Data Science in higher education is the process of turning raw institutional data into actionable intelligence. With this introduction to foundational topics in machine learning and predictive analytics, ambitious leaders in research can develop and employ sophisticated predictive models to better inform their institution’s decision-making process.
Essays & Tutorials
- Why do For-Profits Have Such Low Outcomes?
- An Early Alert System Will Fail Without an Early Alert Philosophy
- An Analytics Readiness Checklist for Higher Education
- The Analytics Spectrum: What Era Are You In?
- Data science does not create value, how you use it does
- Resource Requirement Swirl (RRS) and how to avoid it
- How Ego Inhibits Progress
- Technology Doesn’t Improve Financial Aid, People Do: An Interview
- Improving Self-Advisement: The Development of Guided Pathway Factsheets
- A Guided Pathways Toolkit for Community Colleges
- Is Alien Feminist? A Critical Look at Ridley Scott’s Alien (1979)
- A Critical Look at Stanley Kubrick’s Full Metal Jacket (1987)
- A Critical Look at Anti-Communist Anxieties in Hollywood from 1945–1960
- A Critical Look at Buster Keaton’s The General (1927)
- A Critical Look at Thomas Pynchon’s The Crying of Lot 49 (1965)
Full-Stack Development and Administration
- Nginx — Proper 443 (HTTPS) and WWW Redirecting
- Unable to find local grunt after git clone [solved]
- Automatically Block Banned IPs with fail2ban, iptables, and ipset
- How to Build and Install libcurl from the Command Line
- Introduction to REST APIs and Security
- CMS-like Dynamic Routing in AngularJS
- DIY AngularJS SEO with PhantomJS (the easy way!)
- [Solved] NPM Error: No compatible version found
- Restrict SFTP Users to a Specific Directory
- What Do Malicious Log Entries Look Like?
All of these planning guidesare 100% free to use and distribute. The target audience isinstitutional planners, researchers, and decision-makerscharged with ensuring institutional operations are efficient and decisions are data-driven, and who feel strongly about the importance of good intelligence in the college planning process.
Analytics Readiness Checklist for Higher Education
Before you invest in expensive analytics software, make sure your institution is ready. Products are only as efficient as the People are Processes are. Follow this checklist to create a solid data mindset in your organization.
Guided Pathways Toolkit for Higher Education
In 2015, there was over $31 million spent across the country for Guided Pathway consultants to come to colleges and say the exact same thing: students are oversaturated with choices and want a clear list of what courses they need, how much they will cost, and how long their programs will take. Follow this extremely simple guide for getting your institution on the guided pathways mindset.
Data Science in Higher Education
A 5-time Amazon Bestseller!
Since 2015, Data Science in Higher Education has sold over 1,500 copies to dedicated analysts and leaders across the globe. In this introductory text, I’ll walk you through real case studies of when I was working with colleges, using R and analytical insight to tackle data and forecasting problems in higher education.
Software & Tools
Gainful Employment Disclosure Template Generator